Re-Imagining Recruitment & Selection Practices
“Lansdowne Board Intelligence assisted us in the recruitment of trustees for the Education Sector Employee Life and Health Trusts. From the moment we met Gillian and her team, we knew we had selected the right organization and we couldn’t have asked for a better outcome!” Read Testimonials
Doreen Lamarche, Executive Director – Education Finance Office, Ministry of Education
The demands placed upon Boards of Directors and Executive Leaders have never been greater as organizations across every industry sector grapple with rapid change; influenced by the proliferation of technology disruption, geo-political risks, increasingly competitive global markets, evolving governance, regulation and standards of transparency, the rise of shareholder activists, and the demands for greater leadership diversity. In order to navigate today’s critical issues and position itself for the future, it’s vital for your organization to have the ‘the right’ people – That’s where Lansdowne Board Intelligence comes in.
We learn how you recruit your people; we challenge your thinking; we enhance your practices; and, we change outcomes.
Our services include:
Optimizing Board Composition
In achieving the optimal composition for your board— one size does not fit all. While there are some competencies that are consistent requirements for all boards to have; the ideal board composition will vary from company to company, but it’s Important to ensure there is a relevant blend of competencies, experience and knowledge, as well as different communication and thinking styles, and a mix of gender, age and ethnicity.
Our experts will help your board establish ‘The right’ composition by complementing your organization’s strategy and business environment, with the required breadth of competencies and personal attributes, in order to tackle the critical issues of today’s business world while also considering the challenges and demands of the future.
Board Director Recruitment
Recruiting the most qualified, relevant and diverse directors possible, and ensuring your board searches beyond the networks of those already the boardroom table; are critical components of good governance.
Being a board director is not suited to everyone, and while most boards understand the skills and personal attributes that make for an effective director; knowing how to rigorously and objectively assess these during the recruitment process is a significant undertaking. We will help your board to:
- Gain access to a broad local and global talent pool;
- Develop a search strategy that will identify a slate of qualified, diverse and relevant candidates that goes beyond the ‘conventional’ prospects;
- Design a rigorous selection framework by which candidates will be objectively and consistently assessed, which includes establishing a weighted criterion and rating scorecard;
- Conduct robust measurements of a candidate’s full competency and capability make-up, which includes assessing past experience, core skills, and personal attributes, and assessing those often-elusive personality traits that impact behavior and are essential to director effectiveness; and,
- Identify qualified and relevant female candidates for each and every search.
When you work with us, you’ll benefit from our unique methodology and assessment protocols that are specifically designed for the role of a Board. Our modern method helps your committee gain a genuine understanding of each candidate’s core competencies and personal characteristics, and keeps the focus on the merit of each candidate and the “True” capability they can bring to your board.
Revitalizing Your Board’s Selection Practices
Ensuring that your board engages in a rigorous, and “Truly” objective and merit-based selection process is another critical component of good governance, but many boards discover that this is not as simple to execute as it may appear.
Process weaknesses and unconscious bias can stymie even the most progressive company’s attempts to capitalize on the advantages of diversity at the boardroom table. We have re-imagined the entire domain of board recruitment and have replaced the ineffective board recruiting practices of the past with a constructive and modern method that will:
- Help your board to identify norms, processes or practices that detract from its ability to increase diversity;
- Assist you in applying a consistent and methodical assessment of candidates, particularly those who are known to existing board members, as this influences deliberations and can put misplaced weight towards the known candidates over those who are unknown; but who are quite often more qualified;
- Enhance your committee’s understanding of how misapplying the term ‘fit’ impedes an objective and merit-based selection process, and help you to avoid the self-defeating, “impression-based” selection practices which back those candidates who are personally liked more – regardless of true ability; and,
- Enable your board to improve future searches with “best in class” practices that ensures you select “the right” people for “the right” reasons; a process that will withstand scrutiny from your most fervent stakeholders.
We provide you with the tools and expert guidance to construct the ‘right’ composition and implement a rigorous, objective and merit-based recruitment regime that not only ensures the identification of more qualified, relevant female candidates, but more importantly; ensures that your selection practices minimize the unconscious bias and misplaced personal judgements that can undermine your ability to actually “appoint” more women to your board.
CEO Search & Leadership Assessment
Hiring a new CEO is one of the most important roles a Board of Directors has, and for some boards; it can often be a daunting task.
Our experts will guide your committee through every step of the recruitment process. We take the time upfront to ask the right question that will guide us on the search, which will garner a clear understanding of the organization, it’s culture, strengths and challenges, and the competitive landscape in which it operates. We’ll guide the committee in building consensus on a composite of the ideal candidate experience, core competencies and the personal attributes essential to success in the role, along with identifying the key objectives by which the CEO’s performance will be measured.
We engage in a rigorous assessment of each CEO candidate’s competencies, personality traits and values, and conduct a unique stress test to assess how they perform under duress. We seamlessly embed our psychometric assessment protocol into the recruitment process to ensure that candidates are rigorously measured and vetted for the role at hand, which provides another data-point in ensuring that the “right” CEO is selected for your organization.
Accelerating Leadership Diversity
Canadian companies are under increased scrutiny to improve the gender balance of their boards and executive teams. Whether driven by regulatory disclosure requirements, the desire to avoid an imposed quota system, or a genuine conviction that greater diversity will enhance decision-making, effectiveness and performance; the demand for qualified women business leaders will continue to grow.
Our commitment to gender diversity is long and unwavering. Over many years, we’ve built extensive intel on women business leaders that is unsurpassed, which spans a wide range of functional disciplines and industry sectors. Whether you are looking to add more women to your Board or to your executive/leadership teams; we’ll develop and execute a custom recruitment campaign, and work passionately and diligently, leaving no stone unturned, to find the most qualified and relevant women your organization needs.
Contact Us Today to help your organization find the qualified, relevant and most diverse composition of people.